Creativity Coffee* this month was lively as always! We discussed everything from creative spaces to dealing with failure, from preparation to procrastination, from discarding limiting beliefs to using our art supplies! We even made a Studio Sister pact for next month.
It was wonderful to see familiar friends well as lots of new attendees. What a joyful mix of creative spirits! If you want to join us in March, all you have to do is sign up for the studio (totally free!) and you’ll get your invitation. I’d love to meet you for coffee.
In the meantime, be sure to check out some of the great ideas and resources that were shared. May they inspire you! Thank you to everyone for being so generous with your wisdom.
- Check out Poppin for colourful office supplies
- Online Business Teacher Alicia Forest
- Art educator Connie Hozvicka
- Find studio tunes at Pandora, Spotify or Songza
- Organizing from the Inside Out
- Wreck This Journal
- Creative Living with Jamie podcast site
- Creative Living with Jamie: Self-Nourishment
What’s being cleared away and left behind…
- Fear, including fear of failure
- Clients who are less than nice
- Old blogs
- Old thoughts that are no longer useful
- Limiting beliefs
- Feelings of unworthiness
- “Saving” supplies
- Winter and the winter blahs
What’s being invited in…
- Getting “out there”
- Sharing expertise
- Creating videos
- Creating our own projects
- Creating websites
- Creating business
- More “me time”
- Feeling worthy
- People who are on the same wavelength
- Making use of supplies
Some Creative Living Tools and Strategies…
- Create an Encouragement Box.
- When limiting beliefs kick in, listen to a podcast, chat with a friend. Fill your mind with new thoughts.
- Talk to friends so you can hear your own beliefs.
- Take imperfect action.
- Sneak up on your creative work.
- Look for inspiration outside of your medium, especially when comparisonitis hits.
- Take good care of yourself.
- Start with something unintimidating – a short walk, doodling, kiddie paints.
- Have a partner and connect for a strategy session once a week.
- Use your stash: art supplies, school supplies, stationary supplies – and journals!
- Throw a “Use It Up” Party with your unused art supplies.
- Notice when preparation becomes procrastination.
Additional Creative Resources Inspired by Our Chat…
When caught up in the emotions that accompany failure, rejection, comparisonitis, resistance… my favourite strategy is to move.
For those of you who were curious about Wreck this Journal, here is the introductory video from when The Next Chapter Book Blogging Group journeyed through it together.
A Small Sampling of Inspired Words…
- “Creativity is a contact sport.” Alma
- “Don’t make it precious.” BJ
- “When something’s rejected, it usually means something better’s in store.” Donna
- “The right way is the way that you’ll actually do it.” Jamie
- “Don´t put it down, put it away” Paula Buenos Aires
We also talked about how we create our spaces and I’ll be sharing that in a separate post but I did want to mention that the lovely Paula has a new series coming about home decluttering and organizing (nine months, room by room). Several Creativity coffee participants will be taking part! Keep your eye out on Paula’s blog.
Some of This Month’s Creative Coffee Contingent
- Lisa the Mountain Mermaid
- Lisa of Joycreation
- PS If you were there but don’t see your link here, feel free to leave it in the comments!
*Creativity Coffee is a live online chat with me and other members of the Studio. We meet up with me on video and everyone else typing in chat. You don’t have to be technically savvy to participate. You don’t have to be an accomplished creative or a newbie. You are welcome just as you are! This is a great way to connect with a creative community. to ask me and this fellow creatives your creative living questions and to share your wisdom too! I hope you’ll join me. For full details and your invitation, join the Studio!